- Improved Technology: License Plate Readers are now faster, with instant reads and positive verification based on vehicle type and color. Sensor technology has become cheaper and more reliable in high resolution cameras (1080P+ resolution). These technological advances have migrated to LPRs and have had a similar effect.
- Reliability: Every car has a license plate and that is rarely, if ever, changed. With an IP connected LPR, updates can be made quickly and easily to add and remove access as needed. The days of having to remember a pin code or hold the tag up just right so the reader can acknowledge it are over.
- Scalability: LPRs can be used to control a single entrance with a standalone package at the gate, which then sends a signal to open when an approved vehicle pulls up. It can be also implemented at an entire college campus using mobile apps and vehicle mounted cameras. These alert security staff what cars are not properly registered to park there as they are driving through the lot.
- Speed: With free flow parking management, you can include maps that show parking enforcement staff the exact location of violators as they move through a lot. Some LPRs can read plates at speeds above 50MPH allowing for the elimination of gates and security posts, which can slow traffic. Almost any road can be covered with LPRs without modification.
- Connectivity: When integrated into other systems, license plates can be flagged to send an alert by email or to a manned security desk. For example, if there is concern over a disgruntled ex-employee on the premises, the appropriate parties can be notified before the person is even out of their car. Some systems are even able to sound an alert throughout the building and lock the doors.
LPRs are a tried and tested technology, to which anyone who’s tried to speed through a toll booth can attest! They can be added to many existing access control, CCTV, and security systems or installed as standalone units. With IP connectivity they can be easily managed, even from a central office off site. Consider License Plate Reader technology for your parking management solution – there are many variations on the market and can fit into almost any budget.
And trust me, you won’t miss the tags.
Kevin Wilhelm is an 8 year veteran of the Low Voltage Electrical Industry. He has a Bachelor’s Degree in Economics from the University of Connecticut and a Master’s in Public Administration. He currently works as a Sales Engineer handling Integrated Security Systems for SIGNET Electronic Systems headquartered in Norwell Massachusetts. Kevin can be reached at email@example.com or through signetgroup.net.